The Empire Area Museum was dedicated in June 1987, and is fashioned after the original Roen Saloon, a prominent fixture in Empire during the lumbering days. The Museum features the original bar in the Roen Saloon, a Victorian parlor, turn-of-century kitchen, artifacts from Norway Town, a blacksmith shop, barn display, railroad exhibit, a covered wagon, and much more.
Behind the museum is an original one-room schoolhouse, complete with water pump and outhouse. this building also serves as our audio-visual center. The Billy Beeman Barn (full of horse drawn equipment) was added in 1990.
The first museum was established in 1976, in an old village building known as the Hose House, home of the Empire Fire Department. It was built in 1911 at a cost of $582.53. That building is also part of the Museum Center.
P.O. Box 192
Empire, MI 49630