Preparing for the Long-Term Economic Recovery of the Northern Michigan Region
The Northern Michigan Chamber Alliance is a coalition of chambers and economic development organizations from Alpena, Benzie, Cadillac, Charlevoix, Gaylord, Petoskey, Traverse City, Manistee, Marquette, Elk Rapids, Harbor Springs, Boyne, East Jordan, Cheboygan, Sault Area, and Leelanau. The priority of the organization’s partners is to support businesses within our communities and work collectively to advocate at the state and federal levels for more resources for northern Michigan.
For updates on COVID-19 for our community, following TraverseConnect News.
The Alliance is preparing for the second phase of our response to the health and economic crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. We’re focused on the following solutions to help drive the economic recovery of northern Michigan:
- Advocating on behalf of businesses in the continued state and federal legislative response to the health and economic crises
- Creating solutions to safely open and operate customer-facing businesses to get owners and employees back to work
- Charting the course for the future of the northern Michigan economy by addressing the current unemployment spike while finding new opportunities and solutions for industries adversely affected by continued management of an ongoing health crisis
We will work and advocate for:
- Additional funding sources and mechanisms to provide businesses with the necessary liquidity to restart or continue operations
- Clear guidelines for safe operating practices to keep workers and customers safe, including expanded COVID-19 testing, use of PPE, employing modified social distancing practices, and comprehensive cleaning procedures
- Comprehensive COVID-19 testing to identify and prevent future outbreaks to help bring Michigan together, drive our economy forward, and end the current economic crisis
- Broadening of talent attraction and development programs to help diversify and build our economy in new areas, such as technology, traded industries, and remote work
The Northern Michigan Chamber Alliance remains focused on enacting and defending rural-centric business policy.
U.S. Chamber of Commerce
The Federal CARES Act
Major Provisions | Implementation | Resources
Executive Director, Kevin Courtois, of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Great Lakes Region prepared a presentation for Northern Michigan Chamber Alliance to review the provision, implementations and resources of the Federal CARES Act. Click below to see the presentation.