4:00 PM to 6:00 PM
INFORMATION FOR PARTICIPANTS
NMC’s 13th annual Career Fair will be held Thursday, March 7, 2019 at the Hagerty Conference Center from 4–6 p.m. The Career & Employment Fair is a great place to meet employers. Representatives from companies across the region attend the fair to meet potential employees and increase awareness of their organization. The event is open to students, alumni and community members.
A successful career fair experience takes planning and preparation. Please use the checklist below to plan for the fair, maximize your time with employers and stand out among other attendees. NMC has a number of resources and videos available to help you prepare for the Career & Employment Fair.
PREPARING FOR THE CAREER FAIR:
- Know what to expect.
- Review, update and make copies of your resume.
- Return to the Career Fair website to view a list of employers that are attending. Identify the company representatives you would like to meet. Research the companies using their websites; learn about their services, products and positions.
- Create a list of questions you would like to ask. Avoid asking, "What does your company do?" This indicates you have not taken the time to learn about their company. Some sample questions include:
- Can you tell me more about the position and type of person you are seeking?
- What is unique about your organization?
- What are the skills and attributes you value most in your employees?
- Do you have advice for someone wanting to enter the field?
- What type of educational background do you look for in your employees?
- What do you enjoy most about working for the company?
- May I contact you with further questions?
- Determine what to wear a week before the event. Dress in business attire. First impressions are important.
- Develop and rehearse your "elevator pitch." This is a 30- to 60-second introduction including your name, job of interest, why you want to work for the company and why you are qualified.
- After the Career Fair: Send thank you notes.
WHAT TO BRING:
- Pen and paper for notes
- Portfolio (not a backpack) for gathering information
- Business cards and samples of your work (if applicable)
AT THE CAREER FAIR:
- Develop an action plan to target your top companies. A layout of the companies in attendance will be available upon arrival.
- Make eye contact, smile, shake hands, actively listen, and communicate confidently, professionally and with enthusiasm.
- Use your "elevator pitch" to market yourself. Indicate how your skills can be utilized by the company. Express interest in the position and company.
- Ask questions. These questions may relate to the future direction of the company, positions, or skill sets they are seeking.
- Collect business cards from everyone you meet. If you are unable to get a business card be sure to get the person's contact information or at least the company's contact information.
- Make notes after meeting with each company. Include information such as next steps you should take; the application process; any specific hiring contacts.
AFTER THE CAREER FAIR:
- Review your notes.
- Send thank-you emails or notes within a few days to each company representatives you met. This brief note thanks the company representative for their time, reiterates your interest, and highlights your qualifications.